Powerschool GoGuardian Naviance Aimsweb Semstracker EdReflect SchoolDude Virtual Paragon Frontline Alio Service Portal

Student Council Giving Students a Voice

The Woodland Regional Student Council held a modified RSVP idea forum. RSVP, Raising Student Voice& Participation, is a national program that is sponsored by The National Association of Student Councils and the National Association of Secondary School Principals. Student councils across the country use RSVP to give students a voice in their school. At Woodland, the Student Council hoped to gain a better understanding of the feelings of the students by using a system like RSVP.

Student Council advisor, Christopher Tomlin, believes, “The concept is opening up to the student body an opportunity to give feedback on not only student council events, but things going on at Woodland to try to generate conversation.”

Katie Drewry, Junior Board of Education Representative, originally came up with the idea with Tomlin to bring the RSVP forum to Woodland. She, like the rest of Student Council, wanted to get student feedback on  events.

“We wanted input from students, so we brought people in to talk about past events we had and future events we are going to have,” said Drewry.

They hope that they can learn what people want to change and what they want to stay. As Homecoming and Spirit Week are the biggest Student Council events, they were a major topic of discussion. Many changes were made to those events this year, so it was important to get feedback

Vlamis hopes, “In the future, we hope to provide a spirit week that meets requests and suggestions of the students as much as possible.”

The forum  helped Student Council better understand the ideas and opinions of the students. The feedback from the students was good, and overall the goals were fulfilled.

“A lot of people came and tell us their opinions,” said Drewry, “we got a lot of good ideas for next year and upcoming events.”

Student Council hopes to hold more forums sin the future, in order to better communicate with the Woodland students.

“We are here to serve the student body,” said Student Body President Mary Vlamis, “and in order to successfully do that we need to hear their opinions.”